A quickie, food for thought post today.
Because it's the holiday season, I've been out and about a ton lately. And when people find out that I'm in the wine business they often want to talk wine (or if they are a teetotaler, run away from my devil spirit...I do live in the South). If they drink wine and stick around to speak with me, 90% of the time it's a great conversation. But the other 10%...oy vey. PAINFUL at best. Why? It's a little thing I like to call 'obsessive name dropping.'
There are thousands of producers out there and I can't have tried them all. I drink adventurously and try new things all the time, but I hate when people get "Producer-y" on me. It makes me feel bad, frankly. And it leads to a confrontational situation where the person who has knowledge of a producer then tries to quiz me on everything I DO know to prove that my not knowing about their "guy" doesn't make me a wine novice or complete and utter moron, as they make it seem. Although I've passed lots of exams, taught people about wine on the blog and in the wine classes I teach, worked for large wineries, and traveled around the world to wine regions, it has no bearing once I haven't heard of this specific producer.
This is a journey through a topic that none of us will ever know everything about (that's why most of us love it so much -- constant change and learning with a great backbone of history! Who could ask for more?). Instead of trying to upstage each other, let's just try to constructively share the wealth and stop thinking someone is a moron just because they don't know or share your love of certain winemakers.