Terroir (teh-RWAH) - It's a HUGE topic in the wine world, and not without controversy. You may have heard of this word, or may have no freaking idea what we're talking about...either way, this is a low down of what it's all about. If you're going to appreciate wine, especially French wine, you've got to know about this term and concept.
Here's the link: PODCAST or search Wine For Normal People in iTunes (and if you can rate us there we'd love it!!).
- How to pronounce it correctly
- What does it mean (translation)?
- Its effect on wine (can you actually taste terroir?!)
- The big controversy - Is terroir a bunch of hooey?
- The origins of terroir (a bit of history)
Grape of the Week - Cabernet Sauvignon (and its differences in terroir)
- We discussed how this love child came into being and Rick asked for more info on it's parentage. I'm happy to say I got it right -- Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc had a love child spontaneously. In 1996 a UC Davis researcher found that these two grapes, native to Bordeaux, mated to create the King of the Reds!
- Here's a link to some more information from Kobrand, a major importer that has a good site with lots of info on grapes and wines!
AND we're not done...next week: Terroir Part 2: Its different aspects and why terroir matters. Thanks for staying tuned!