In homage to the great TV trend of the 1980s, M.C. Ice and I begin a mini-series on the big grapes from around the world. We're moving beyond Grape of the Week to go in depth on the wine major league that you ask the most questions about. This week's episode is on Sauvignon Blanc, just in time for the warm summer weather!!
BTW-- you HAVE to listen to this 'cast. M.C. Ice and I had a "Muffin Moment" just like when Betty White hosted SNL. If you haven't seen that clip, please watch this...hilarious.
Mea Culpa -- we forgot shout outs (let's face it, we're lucky we found the microphone post our big move)! We'll be sure to double up next week!
Main Topic -Sauvignon Blanc
- The Sauvignon Blanc grape, its origins, flavor profile, and why methoxypyrazines and cat pee aren't such bad things in this grape.
- We then drilled down into the main regions that produce Sauvignon Blanc and talk about differences in styles:
- Sancerre/Pouilly- Fume for minerally wines that strip the enamel off your teeth (but are delicious)
- Napa, California for a softer, floral style, sometimes with an oaky twist
- Marlborough, New Zealand, for excellent grapefruit flavors, acid, and even a jalapeno kick
- Bordeaux for a softer blend with Semillon and Muscadelle, and the sweet wines of Sauternes
- South Africa and Chile for styles in between the ones we already talked about
To listen, download the podcast from the iTunes store (and if you like it please add a comment or rate it so we can make sure to stay on the radar, which helps other folks find us easily that would be great!), click the link above, or use the player below! Thanks for listening!