This week we talk about the Goldilocks of red wine -- Merlot. The crowd pleaser of the reds, this versatile grape has a style for just about everyone. There are haters out there, but keep in mind, this is a main grape of Bordeaux and is responsible for one of the finest, most expensive wines in the world from there...it deserves some respect!
Shoutouts to friends on Twitter, Facebook, iTunes, and commenters on email (elizabeth(at) winefornormalpeople (dot)com) and on the blog
Main Topic: Merlot (yes, the "t" is silent)
- The Goldilocks wine -- medium and great because of it!
- Descriptions of different styles of Merlot and why some of it is kind of bad and some is outstanding
- Merlot's relationship with Cabernet Sauvignon
- A bit of background on this lovely grape -- where it came from
- Growing regions and styles: France (Bordeaux), Italy, the Balkan states (there is an error in the podcast -- I mis-speak and call them the Baltic States, this is wrong! Thanks to listener Tanya B for catching that!), New Zealand, Australia, and US (Washington State and CA)
- A little on food pairing
- Prestigious producers of Merlot
Please leave us your feedback here (including show suggestions!), on the Wine For Normal People Facebook Page, and on Twitter @normalwine
Thanks for listening!