We haven't done a grape mini-series in a while so for all those GMS, here you go! This week, after so fabulous shoutouts (thank you so much for the feedback!) we do the "American" grape, Zinfandel. This podcast is FULL of wine dorkery, for those of you who love that stuff.
Here are some notes:
- First we talk about what Zin is and the differences in flavor profiles, depending on where the grape is grown
- Then we hit the history books...and what a storied history this grape has. We reach back 6,000 years and talk about how this grape evolved, where it came from, and how it wound up in California (and my link to its path)
- We discuss some parental issues with Zin -- and legal names it shares with some cousins and possible twins (If you're looking for the spelling of the crazy grapes we mentioned: Crljenak Kastelansk, Plavac Mali, Primativo)
- The ZAP event -- Zinfandel Advocates and Producers and the festival
- The Zin-Primativo link and some other regions growing Zinfandel
- A word on the difference between Zinfandel and White Zinfandel (link to the Rosé Podcast and the difference between Rosé and White Zin if you missed it)
- Food and Zinfandel
If you like the podcast, please review it on iTunes, drop a comment below, or join the awesome conversation on Facebook (Wine For Normal People page) and Twitter @normalwine!
And if you've got a question you want us to answer, post it on any of those places and we'll include it on the show!
Thanks for listening! We can't wait to hear from you!
Podcast music: "Café connection" by morgantj / CC BY 3.0, ©2009 - Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) Map: Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported, 2.5 Generic, 2.0 Generic and 1.0 Generic license